1 post

Things That Go Bump in the Night–G is for Gargoyles

The word gargoyle comes from the French word gargouille which means gullet or to gargle. In architecture, gargoyles are grotesque ornaments, which serve as waterspouts. The term gargoyle in architecture refers to any such device—no matter what it depicts. Strictly speaking, the term grotesque in architecture refers to ornaments, which do not serve as water spouts.  Gargoyles are supposed to protect the building from evil spirits. In a legend dating back to the 7th century, a nasty dragon named La Gargouille lived […]